Friday, August 5, 2011

An Evening of Miracles...

The babies and I recently attended St. Luke's NICU Graduate Picnic in Boise.  Although there were sounds of laughter, happy smiles and children of all ages having fun, there was a bittersweet feeling in the air.  Parents like myself, who at one time thought we had control of our lives until life told us otherwise, cast reassuring looks at eachother as if to say, "I know where you've been, I understand, and life goes on, one way or another."  Everywhere you looked there were miracles...children like mine, alive today because of modern medicine.
Some NICU stories end up with joyful endings, like ours.  Our babies left the NICU with a clean bill of health and without any physical/mental issues, negative long term effects from surgeries/medicines/treatments or any developmental issues (knock on wood).
Others were not so fortunate and as I talked to the parents of these children, I felt almost embarassed that my babies were "normal".  I saw a family that had been at the Ronald McDonald house while I was there.  Their twin boys, Aaron and Logan, were born at 27 weeks (2 lb/ea.) and were in the neighboring room in the NICU.  I remember visiting the boys, whose cries sounded like wimpers and wondering how something so small could be so strong and survive surgery.  Now, 10 months later, they're crawling, getting into things and giving overwhelming joy to their parents.  They've come a long ways and still have a ways to go, but they are here. 
Then there was another mother I had spent time with in the hospital and I learned she was not able to bring her baby home from the NICU...ever.  I think my heart broke at that point.  Once again, I thanked God for all my blessings.
Seeing the faces of former NICU patients and their families puts everything into perspective.  I used to be bad at dwelling on the past or worrying about what might happen tomorrow, but after experiencing "life in the NICU", it's all about today.  Love your family, hug your children, be happy and smile because in the end, today is all we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment